Picanha is the top cap of the sirloin. This delicious cut takes some preparation but is well worth it. It is very versatile on how to cook: it can be grilled or seared & slow cooked.
- Thaw TriTails Picanha. Laying the fat cap on the bottom, remove all silver sinew fibers from the meat side.
- Find the grain of the meat and cut one-inch slices off of each end going across the grain at 90º. These end pieces are not as tender but still delicious. Cut three uniform steaks out of the center section.
- True Brazilian Style Picanha uses a dry brine consisting of heavy rock salt on the meat sides and not on the fat cap. We do not put salt on the fat cap because we want the fat to render correctly.
- Put on a plate and allow to sit in the refrigerator for 6-24 hours. The longer the steak is in the brine, the more flavor the meat will have.
- Put on the grill with indirect heat until the steaks reach 115ºF, checking with a meat temperature probe. (This will take 20-25 minutes).
- After reaching 115ºF, crank the grill to maximum heat. Flame kiss the meat for 45 seconds to a minute and a half, turning the meat regularly. The fat will render off, coaxing the fire. This intense heat will char the outside of the steaks (which we want) and quickly raise the temperature of the meat 135ºF.
- Take off the grill, allow the meat to rest, and eat!
SnS Grills does a phenomenal job at giving visuals.
BUT I do NOT have a grill? What do I do?
- Thaw and clean the picanha. Salt both sides of the picanha at least 30 minutes (but up to 12 hours) before cooking.
- Heat an oven friendly pan. Add the entire steak with the fat cap down towards the pan; this will render the fat allowing for the meat to tenderize. Allow for the steak to cook, fat side down, for 5-8 minutes.
- Flip the steak to let it cook on the opposite side; this will encourage the meat to soak up the fat. Allow cooking for 5 - 8 minutes or until the desired sear.
- Heat the oven to 250ºF. Finish cooking the entire picanha in the oven for approximately 8 - 10 minutes. (NOTE: you can do this step in several different ways. Either throw it in the oven or go ahead and cut into individual steaks. The inside will be reasonably raw, thus, cook sliced picanha on the stovetop until finished)
- Take the picanha out of the oven and allow rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice, and serve.
Let us know how this recipe worked for you by commenting or tagging us on social media!
Have questions? We are just an email away: [email protected]